Perhaps one of the most valuable lessons we have learned in the build so far is how to fix (fairly severe) rust in areas of our van.
We’d never done anything like it before, and after plenty of google searches and youtube videos, the decision was made that we would attempt it ourselves rather than paying someone.
We didn’t enquire with any professionals as to how much it would cost to have professionally done, as the materials we needed weren’t much more than a hundred bucks and it only took a few hours.
The basic method we followed was;
1. Grinding away outer flaky/brittle rust using a wire brush attachment on our power drill
2. Sanding the area with course, then fine, then extra-fine (haha) sanding discs, to feather out the existing paint surrounding the rusted areas so that when we re-paint, it will appear smooth
3. Cleaning the prepared areas with a wax and grease removing product
4. Painting rust converter onto prepared areas with a paint brush
5. Using a filler to fill in the rusted areas
6. After the filler dried, sanding it back
7. Painting on a primer
Below are some photos and Youtube video with more detail.
Feel free to ask us any questions!
You can check out pictures and videos from our build on our Instagram.